View Single Post
Old April 24, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
GuyMontag

I would say you have the general concept down, but need to be more firm about your rules.

For instance,
1) Make a conscious effort to keep your trigger finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire. This will keep you from shooting yourself in the foot, or in the leg, during the draw stroke.

Your finger should NEVER touch the trigger until the sights are on target and you have made the decision to fire. There's no conscious effort. It's a rule and one of the four primary. The ramifications are not significant. By introducing ramifications, it introduces doubt to new shooters that there are exceptions. "Well, if my foot and leg are ok, then that's all I have to worry about..." I like the word NEVER.

2) If you are shooting two-handed, wait until your support hand is positioned correctly before allowing your trigger finger to enter the trigger guard. This will prevent you from blowing any fingers off your support hand.

The procedure for a two handed firing position from a draw includes joining both hands and obtaining a proper purchase BEFORE even punching out toward the target. The support hand should be waiting on your body's center line for the strong hand to bring the gun to it. They meet, you secure your grip, and punch toward the target. Also, your support hand position isn't the key for when to allow your trigger finger to enter the trigger guard.

I would also encourage a new shooter to focus on form and never speed. Like they say, smooth is fast. Fast is not necessarily smooth. Fast is what happens when you practice being smooth.

I don't mean to sound militant, but I'd hate to see either of you get hurt. Be very specific about the draw and presentation.

Page generated in 0.02013 seconds with 8 queries