View Single Post
Old July 5, 2006, 12:35 AM   #13
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

*sigh*

I have had a Doberman shot by a .357 magnum. Survived with treatment of an antibiotic injection. A police officer shot one of my Rottweilers with a .357 magnum dead in the chest between the front legs. Survived with no penetration of the thoracic cavity.

I can take you to Sardis, Georgia and introduce you to a man who was shot in the face from a range of two feet with a .357 magnum by a police officer. The bullet entered his face just to the left of his nose and stopped just by the carotid.

I'm a RN in an emergency department. I've got more. In fact, out of survivors, the gunshot wound I've personally seen that caused the most permanent deficits was vascular damage to a man's leg caused by a .25ACP. The young man almost lost that leg and will never regain full use of it.

It ain't 9MM. It's handgun calibers in general. They will all fail at times even with proper placement in the central nervous system. I've seen a man who shot himself in the brain by placing the .38 Special in his mouth three days before. The CT of his brain showed bullet fragments from the roof of his mouth to the back of his skull. He had a slight limp. I've had worse limps from twisting my ankle in the parking lot. There are reasons that repeating handguns were developed. One reason is the need to shoot again due to disappointing results with the first shot even with proper placement.

Look at the percentage of people who survive being shot with a handgun and then compare that percentage with the percentage of people who survive being shot with a rifle. There is a reason for that disparity. The reason is the much lower capabilities of handgun calibers. All of them.

Page generated in 0.03422 seconds with 8 queries