View Single Post
Old September 6, 2011, 02:07 PM   #499
1911Tuner

Quote:
Well there is a half truth if ever there was one. Of coarse it's to sell.
Much of the time, though...that's pretty much the only reason. Again...I've never said that the .327 is useless...only that it's not destined to be a widely popular cartridge outside of its intended target market...and even that is pretty well covered.

Quote:
The .327 has advantages over the .357 but the only real .357 advantage is when loaded with heavier bullets for hunting and maybe a very VERY slight gain in stopping power.
And the main advantage of the .327 over the .357 is? It offers high velocity and similar energy in certain loadings...if that's really that important...and one more round in small revolvers. Okay. Not a thing wrong with that...but the wider bullet weight range advantage of the .357 is precisely what makes it so versatile...and versatility is ultimately what decides whether a caliber will be wildly or mildly successful. It does more things well.

Quote:
The .327 suffers most from timing. First off the economy and the ammo crunch.
Maybe. I tend to think that it's more a matter of trying to slide it into a market that was already dominated. The .41 Magnum never really soared to the top, and the economy wasn't in crisis when it came along. It's barely managed to hang on by way of a small but dead loyal following...of which I'm a member in good standing. I think the .41 is the perfect revolver cartridge, but I'm operating under no delusions that it's a more versatile round than the .44 or the .357 Magnums. No. The underdog .41 nearly faltered because both its target markets...hunting and law enforcement...were already covered by the other two, and it became the red-headed stepchild for all but a small percentage of us.

But, I guess time will tell. The .327 is a good round, but I don't think it'll knock the .38 and .357 off their respective rungs.

Page generated in 0.03740 seconds with 8 queries