View Single Post
Old November 14, 2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Socrates

[QUOTESocrates, I have been reading the tags between you and Lionhunter, and I do not wish to be in any sort of fued myself. I'm not afraid to stand my ground, but think everyone is served better with polite discussion.
That said, I know Jack H. is your buddy, and that you respect him. While I don't know him or you personally, I have read his writings on some of these sights. I see that you seem to believe he is the last word on firearms and ammunition. He's not! There is no way possible for any one man to ever kill enough big game with enough different weapons to say definitvely what is the best for any one circumstance or situation.
My belief is to learn from him and Randy Garrett, John Linebaugh, Tim Sundles, John Taffin, Brian Pearce as well as all the custom gunsmiths I can talk to. There is far more to learn from such a broad spectrum like that than any one man.][/QUOTE]
That's actually really funny, Gun 4 Fun. Once your in the circle of gunsmiths, it's a small world. They pretty much all know each other, know each others work, and respect each other. Gil Van Horn is a very good friend of Jacks. Tim Sundles makes his ammunition. John Taffin does writeups on his guns. I've spent a lot of time writing John Linebaugh, and vice versa, over nearly 30 years, and, Lee Jurras a bit as well. I've corresponded with Hamilton Bowen, and Gary Reeder.
I've spent an hour on the phone with Ross Seyfried, thanks to John Linebaugh, going over his killing a cape buffalo with a Linebaugh 45. I helped develop the BRI sabot shotgun rounds nearly 30 years ago.

Randy Smith, who has since passed, and worked at Freedom Arms and Jack conversed a LOT about developing the .500 JRH. Jack's had more then a few discussions with the Bakers.

Now, all that time, energy, and information gathering is worthless, at least according to Lionhunter, because,
"
Quote:
How many types and numbers of dangerous game have you guys killed at under 50 yards?
Because we don't hunt dangerous game, we can't learn from years of experience and discussion with other people, and, any shooting we've done.

That belief pretty much turns any discussion of stopping rifles or handguns to a very select rich few, who have survived the first experience, or so. It also gets rid of 90% of the gunsmiths in the world, and, nearly 99.999% of the shooters, cartridge developers, and industry folk.

My real point is Jack would be the last one to say he has the ONLY solutions, or that he is the 'greatest'
gunsmith. He'll explain why he came to those conclusions, and, you can draw your own conclusions.

Quote:
Both the old (Socrates) and new (Patriots) Jack Huntington faithful are at it again, and I, for one, am incredibly tired and bored with their non-stop deification of Jack Huntington as THE EXPERT on this topic. Sorry, but he's not. Please quit preaching his line as the end all on the issue. Follow his advice if you like, but understand that's all it is - advice - and the cost is nothing. How many types and numbers of dangerous game have you guys killed at under 50 yards? I think the answer is ZERO. Same question for JH.
Lionhunter: If you have that question for Jack, call him. Scared or something? I gather you and Jack don't get along. Want to post your real name, and I'll ask him who you are?

Quote:
I spent last night at a dinner with some 50 international hunters, most of whom have taken dangerous game of one type or another, and I'll bet none of them has ever even heard of JH.
That's real intresting, since many of the hunters on accuratereloading.com have guns built by Jack, and, take dangerous game with them. Also, as you well know, the number of handgun hunters is very few, relative to rifle hunters, that take dangerous game. Therefore it's relatively easy to get your name in the record books for 'trophy animals', since so few are taken, the quality of the trophies is not near that of the rifle side.

Mr. Huntington builds a LOT of guns, both rifles and pistols, for Alaska and Africa. I suspect if you polled your '50 hunters' more would know him then you think.

All that said, how could anyone say that Jack Huntington wouldn't like the S&@ 500??? It's the parent cartridge for his cartridges....

Page generated in 0.03929 seconds with 8 queries