View Single Post
Old October 29, 2001, 06:43 AM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A coupla things here....

First off, the key words are Home DEFENSE. Unless a family member is cut off in the basement, all of us will be in the upper areas of the Casa. SO, no S&D, just take up a safe position where I can see the top of the stairs and prepare to use up some ammo if a perp gets that far.Other family menbers provide backup and fire support, while one's 911ing on the cell phones or standard one. Homeowner's insurance will cover any losses downstairs.If a family member is cut off in the lower areas, chances are that member is armed anyway. Sorry, I won't go into specifics in a public BB.

As for court liability, a tricked/tweaked 870 with all the addons may or may not be as defensible as Grandpappy's old doublegun.
An excellent defense gambit would be to mention that an increase in accuracy and performance is also an increase in safety.

Since the 870 was my duty shotgun, and many of the procedures and policies of the Dept were in part written by me after testing with this very shotgun, I've an out. My testimony would run something like this.

"Sir, all my training(Documented,of course) and research indicated that these modifications would aid in rapid and effective neutralization of any threat,while lowering the threat level to others, thus giving any non participants in the area better chances of survival, as well as myself".

And, my defense shotguns are indistingushable from good deer guns, and there's a few dozen knowledgeable folks I know willing to testify to same.One's a forensics expert, others are cops, COs and Training Officers.

I would avoid bayonets, duckbills, grenade launchers, belt feeds and any symbols. Example, I saw a O/U recently with a skull and crossbones on its painted, custom stock.

And consider this.....

If you are among those of us who are less than tolerant when it comes to matters of race, creed,etc,and you are involved in an incident with a member of a group you're on record as not liking, you're up the creek. And, having a burning cross, Big X, Confederate flag, or portait of General Nathan Bedford Forrest on your weapons will not help you even if your actions are 100% correct. Being a bigot has a lot of downside.

And I have no prob with that.

Page generated in 0.02465 seconds with 8 queries