View Single Post
Old June 9, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Method

Be careful with skeet...you might end up like me and get addicted. As it turns out, when I first got into skeet shooting just about a year ago, I found a good used sporting shotgun with ported barrels.

Personally, I didn't notice any difference with porting. Some people say they do, others not so much. In my limited experience, porting of the barrel is more trouble than its worth. I've found that cleaning the ports is tedious and problematic. The best way to reduce recoil (again, only a year of experience here) I've found is in changing my shells. Even with a 12ga, I will only shoot 1oz loads instead of 1 1/8oz. That seems to make a big difference for me. Many skeet shooters will still use their 20ga in 12ga matches because it is easier to shoot (less recoil). Statistically, they do as well if not better in 20ga.

Next up, what is the pad you've got on the stock? Most factory pads aren't really meant for excessive shooting. Getting a new pad installed can make a huge difference as well. Kick-eez and Limbsaver are two brands often recommended.

Oh yeah...one final thought on porting. Three of the top skeet gun brands are Krieghoff, Kolar, and Blaser. None of them use ported barrels...and those are the brands you'll see most national skeet champions using and selling.

Page generated in 0.03511 seconds with 8 queries