View Single Post
Old January 20, 2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Musketeer

Been There, Done That, Got the T-Shirt...

Central Florida 1993 deliverring Pizza. Pulled into the parking spot head in at the housing projects in "bad" part of town at about 11:00PM on a Friday night. Immediately a car blocks me into the spot from behind and the passenger jumps out and runs up to my passenger side door.

This had happenned several times in the area already where the victim was being forced to drive to an ATM and get out as much cash as possible. They were then usually beaten badly and in one case the person was killed. I drove a red firebird at the time and was a very common site in the area. That Friday alone I probably drove into that complex six times. Being a white guy in a red firebird deliverring pizza made me a fairly obvious mark. The standard routine was to park, run around tothe passenger side and grab the pies, then head to the door. Anyone who watched this would know pizza guys' passenger doors are unlocked.

As soon as the car blocked me in I hit the door lock and leaned forward so I could reach my 4 cell mag light with my left hand and draw my buddy's S&W 36 with my right. (My 1911 was out getting hard chromed so I was using my buddy's loaner, what are friends for!). The goblin yanked on the passenger door once (locked) and then looked up. As soon as he looked up he was staring at the the snubby held in my right hand. I then shined the maglight right in his eyes. His hands never came into view but if they had and anything was in them I would have shot him through the window. The goblin at my door ran off, not even going back to the car he arrived in. The car then took off. I deliverred the pie to what appeared a fairly normal family for the area. The guys were never caught as far as I know.

Lessons learned.

1. Stay Aware! (I saw them coming and was able to be ready.)
2. Be Preparred! (I was armed and able to respond when required.)
3. Be Resolute! (I KNEW I would pull the trigger if I had to and I already had decided before hand what would justify my doing so.)

I still get the shakes, find myself speaking rapidly and breathing quickly to this day when I describe the incident.

One important thing, I was not going to shoot anyone to keep my car! My life was my concern. If someone THREATENS my life for my car I may choose to respond to the threat to my life, who knows if he will leave it at the car. BUT if he already has my car I am not going to let him shift into drive and then blast him. Once he has it its his. Both my cars are insured and the newer one has OnStar which works just like a lojack if needed.

Page generated in 0.02552 seconds with 8 queries