View Single Post
Old December 30, 2006, 06:23 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
What your past experiences are, will determine in some respect how you handle the current event and what you experience after the event.
There are varying views on this. I think everyone agrees that conditioning can help a person deal with this. However it's also been shown that a small percentage of the population just doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I definitely don't think that the average person is going to be conditioned to handle killing simply by virtue of past experiences. The kind of experiences that would provide that kind of conditioning are rare.
Quote:
One of the reasons that these discussions run short, is because there will inevitably be the poster who comes along and says that while he has never killed anyone, he has no doubt that he can. Some of these will even say that the act of killing a human will have no effect upon them.
Exactly. While there is a small part of the population for which this might be true, the odds are heavily against it. And more to the point, it's not something you can take a test for to find the answer ahead of time.

The choice is to either get the training you need ahead of time or just wait to see what's going to happen. Based on some of the studies I've seen, waiting to see can provide some pretty unexpected results. And I'm NOT just talking about the aftermath.

Page generated in 0.03527 seconds with 8 queries