View Single Post
Old November 21, 2013, 12:41 PM   #29
DavidAGO

I am real late to this thread. My daughter got married on July 20 of this year. Her husband is in the Army Reserve, scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan in Feb 2014. he enjoys guns, and does some of his own reloading. We decided to have shooting party on the morning of the wedding. All the groom's side of the party was there, as well as several family members from out of town.

The highlight of the almost 3 hours we were at the range was introducing my cousin's 8, 10, and 11 year old kids to shooting. they had never been around guns at all; their father had never been around guns. they all got to shoot my father's .22 that he received as a present in 1935 when he was 8 years old. My uncle, their grandfather, saved the .22 casings of their first shots.

My 38 year old cousin, who was introduced to firearms by my uncle when she was young, had not fired a gun in several years. she lives in New York City now, and her friends are all anti-gun. she asked to shoot the .22, by the end of it she was shooting the .38 pistol.

The most fun for all of them? setting up the metal gong at 100 yards and letting them take their turn at trying to hit it with the .22 rifle.

We had adults shooting their duty weapons, including shotguns and AR 15's, and everything from .22's up to my .44 magnum. I had lots of lighter loads for the larger caliber pistols on hand.

My niece, 16 years old, had never shot before; she burned through almost 100 rds. of .38 wadcutter by herself. Even my brother, who is not involved in shooting anymore, was amazed that she liked it so much.

It was a great way to spend the time. Everyone had a great time, we left only because we had to get ready for the wedding.

David

Page generated in 0.03527 seconds with 8 queries