Old April 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Sevens

Quote:
Alliant Power Pistol
165gr Precision Delta FMJ FN
Mixed HS brass
CCI 500 Small Pistol primers
COL will be 1.125"-1.135"

Out of my manuals (Barnes' no4, Sierra's 5th, Hornady's 8th, Lyman's 49th, and Alliant's 2012 handbook) I can only find info out of Lyman's 49th and my Alliant manual. Lyman's tells me max is 7.0gr and Alliant says 7.8gr max.
That kind of variation doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
I've found some data from handloads.com as well showing 7.2-7.5gr charges.

Can anybody with a Speer or Lee manual help me out if there's data in those manuals??
Many times your best answer is simply going to be to take in as many trusted sources and build your own guidelines. Also remember that we don't EVER start with max loads anyway, so the differences you are seeing in the two sources you referenced aren't such a big deal as you'll be starting lower than both anyhow... (right?!)

I really like Alliant powders, but their current load data available on the web is seriously lacking. Compared to the web resource that Hodgdon provides -- well, Alliant sucks. And their current printed guides offer exactly the same info on their (lousy) website. My favorite source for Alliant data is their last printed guide before all the load data was dumbed down in to what they publish now. That would be their 2005 Reloader's Guide. It doesn't have everything, but it offers much more than their current data.

In fact, it doesn't list a 165 gr FMJ bullet in their .40 S&W data.
BUT... they do list a 170 grain XTP. This is good because it's 5 grains heavier in weight -AND- it's a JHP, both of which give you a built-in little safety buffer when what you are actually using is a 165gr FMJ.

For my needs at my bench, published 170gr JHP data from a trusted source is safe data for a 165gr FMJ.
The '05 Guide says 7.3gr of Power Pistol is a max load producing 1,105 FPS and 33,300 PSI with a 170gr XTP in .40 S&W.

If I had YOUR components at MY bench, I'd build 10 rounds at 6.5gr, ten more at 6.8gr and ten more at 7.2gr and I'd be diligent in looking for signs of pressure with these loads.

I would do one thing differently, however--
I wouldn't use mixed head stamp brass. I know many folks do, but I don't care to do that. I may use 12 different head stamps, but they will not be mixed.

It's long been my experience that a slew of mixed head stamps just gives me a slew of different feedback in my press handle, especially when it comes to bullet seating. I want consistency as that breeds accuracy -- and more importantly, it breeds confidence. Confidence that not only have I done my best to produce accurate loads... but confidence that I have consistent case mouth tension and I needn't worry about unintended and unnoticed bullet setback. Especially in a round such as the .40 S&W which is not at all forgiving in this manner.

Page generated in 0.02990 seconds with 8 queries