View Single Post
Old July 9, 2000, 09:52 AM   #8
K80Geoff

PJR... Granted, a heavy gun is not appropriate for upland hunting. My experience lies in clay target shooting and my comments were geared towards that end. I would not use a 28 for ducks! Nor would I want to carry my K guns all day in the field, a round of 200 sporting clays in one day is enough with an almost 9 pound gun!

Sub guge tubes do add weight the the gun and alter the balance. But for Skeet or Sporting they work well. The advantage of tubes is that they allow one gun to be used for several different events. They also could be used to introduce new shooters to shotguns without the punishing recoil which can be a problem with some shooters.

Lighter loads in 12 ga guns can also be used by shooters who are recoil sensitive. There are recipes for 7/8 oz loads in all of the reloading manuals that work well. I know personally of several shooters who shoot only light loads and do well. I have no experience as to how they fare in upland hunting. I have noticed an increse in the popularity of the British "short" 12 gauge cartridges. I understand that several manufacturers will make guns for the 2 inch shells! They are not cheap however.

I still feel that the 28 does not get enough respect. I consider it to be th .22 of shotshells, just wish the ammo was as cheap as .22.

Geof Ross

------------------
One reason to vote in the next Presidential election.

It's the Supreme Court, Stupid!

Page generated in 0.02407 seconds with 8 queries