View Single Post
Old September 19, 2012, 09:05 PM   #64
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Having read all this post I have a couple of questions...

Is it really so dangerous living in America that you have to keep loaded guns spread all over the house for fear of armed robbers breaking into your property? And you feel compelled to carry concealed (and loaded) weaponry on your person when you have to go out anywhere for fear of being attacked by an armed person?

I am not having a go at anyone with this post but I don't think I could ever live anywhere where I felt in constant fear of my life 24/7.

Cheers
G
I will turn this question around on you.

Do you have fire insurance on your home because you are in fear 24 hrs a day of a fire?

It isn't fear that makes people do this, it is practicality and mitigation of risks that does it.

Personally, if I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt there was no way I would ever lose my house to fire, I definitely wouldn't be paying for the insurance every year, but because I don't, I pay it every year even though I have never had a fire or even lived near someone that has.

Same way with carrying a gun or having them available around the house. I don't live in fear, if I did, I would move too. I do, however, know that if I needed to I could defend myself and/or my family and that is a comforting feeling. Just like knowing if I have a fire in the house, I have insurance.

That being said, it can be dangerous here. I went with my wife to a doctor's office in Memphis TN just today, in a decent/secure area (Baptist Hospital Campus). They "buzzed you into" the examination rooms and the receptionist staff was behind 1" bullet resistant (at least impact resistant based on the interlayer) with an interior locking sliding panel and no way to open it from the waiting room.

I made mention of it to my wife as we were leaving, she said: "Well we ARE in Memphis..."

I don't know a whole lot about NZ but I get the impression that it is a mostly culturally homogenous well ordered country with a relatively small population of hardworking industrious people.

Unfortunately, the US is only like that in some areas. Others, not so much.

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.02811 seconds with 8 queries