View Single Post
Old June 11, 2010, 04:20 AM   #16
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman
Quote:
Larger shot size will kinda make up for not having a more restricted choke.
Quote:
As noyes mentioned, you can always use larger shot to compensate. But, before you switch, remember: a 1-1/8 oz load of #9 Skeet shot has about 658 individual pellets compared to a #7-1/2 trap load with 393. That's 265 (or 67%) more pellets. I'll go to larger shot (8 or 8-1/2) for the second shot in the all-doubles event or to buck the wind on really breezy days.
I don't understand this. If he uses larger shot, there will be fewer of them, which will make his open pattern problem worse, not better.
You understand correctly. The bigger shot may make a slightly tighter pattern, but with more space between the individual pellets. Which do you think breaks more targets at Skeet distances? That's why I presented the numbers -- those really interested would figure it out as you did.

For a given barrel and choke, shot patterns can be affected by the load (velocity), pellet size, pellet density, pellet hardness, and wad type. Generally, the smaller pellets (because of their reduced inertial) will give more spread. Some claim the difference is only a few percent. The differences in pattern size, from shot size, are less apparent at Skeet distances. At my T & S club, the best Skeet shooter, with a cyl. bore "riot" gun, uses #9 shot exclusively.

You'll find that Skeet shooters don't get as concerned about every little detail of their ammo as those shooting the sports that involve considerably longer shots. With two different loads, it may mean the difference between a solid break and an ink ball in Skeet, but with a distant SC presentation, or 27+ trap shot it may mean the difference between a hit and a miss.

It's been my experience, at Skeet target distances, the biggest variant in shell performance is related to velocity. There is a difference in pattern behavior between the standard 1150 and 1200 fps loads. The higher velocity loads spread a pinch more. So, for a new shooter, the bigger pattern from a 3 dram (1200 fps) load may mean an occasional extra broken target. For the experienced shooter, if he's going to miss it will probably be by a mile. So he doesn't want a bigger pattern, he uses a 2-3/4 dram (1150 fps) load to get denser patterns, harder hits and less recoil. Since the effects of kick are cumulative, the lighter loads used during the Saturday morning event may mean higher scores on final event on Sunday afternoon.

Much of Skeet, and the other shooting sports, has nothing to do with the gun and ammo, it's what's between your ears. If you've really convinced yourself that a certain load will out perform another, it probably will.

Last edited by zippy13; June 11, 2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo

Page generated in 0.03015 seconds with 8 queries