View Single Post
Old March 11, 2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Littlehoov

What is the definition of a clean and humane kill? Where they fall in their tracks lifeless? Because that doesnt happen very often with any gun. Most deer run for quite a ways before they die even when fatally wonded, Ive seen them run pretty good distances with a completely shattered front shoulder.

I wont even address the comment about the .243, because thats just....yeah.

As awaveritt said the range would defintely be less than the common archery shot, which nowadays is about 50-60 yds max. So I think inside 30 is a decent estimate. I dont know what a deer looks like at 30 yds through pistol sights, I might not even feel comfortable taking the shot.

It just seems entirely possible to me. The 9mm is a superior round to the .38 Special, and Ive heard many a story about deer being brought down with those. Also, Ive seen firsthand what a .357 Mag does to a deer as my father has shot several with his. I know the 9mm is not as powerful as the .357 but its the same caliber bullet and many of the 9mm loads arent too far from .357 territory as far as ballistic numbers. I realize that doesnt always mean real world results though.

It just doesnt make sense to me that people trust the 9mm to bring down a full-sized man, which weigh as much as a very large whitetail or sometimes considerably more. But they turn up their noses at the thought of shooting a deer with it.

Ive seen how a whitetail is put together, I dont see any tremendous difference between it and a human being. Their skin is not that thick, and their bones arent any bigger than ours really.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, what would be the best round to attempt such a thing with?

Page generated in 0.02227 seconds with 8 queries