View Single Post
Old June 28, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1
TunnelRat

DA/SA Hammer-Fired vs. Safe-Action Striker-Fired: I Give Up

Hi all,
If there's one question I found myself considering about firearms more than any other it is this. Which to carry: DA/SA hammer-fired or safe-action striker-fired? For this argument I will be using safe-action to refer not only to Glocks but any striker-fired pistol with some form of trigger safety. Edit: I understand that these designs vary in the degree to with the striker is pre-cocked. For this argument I am lumping them into one. I do understand than striker fired and safe action is not completely synonymous.

I do own and have owned many examples of each. These days I find myself with DA/SA hammer-fired HKs and safe-action striker-fired M&Ps. Both guns feel great in my hand. I have holsters, parts, and accessories (including night sights) for models from both manufacturers and have carried them numerous times with not much effort. So where does that leave me?

On the side of DA/SA hammer-fired ,part of it is just pure fanboyism. I just like an exposed hammer, it's just appealing to me and makes me feel like it's more of a "real gun". I also have carried both actions multiple times safely, but being able to put that thumb on the hammer and ride it into the holster just gives me a warm fuzzy, even when I know logically I am just as safe with the safe-action pistols. There's also no denying I can shoot the DA/SA pistols somewhat better, in terms of group size. That SA trigger is just easier than the safe-action trigger to squeeze out a bit more accuracy. But it's not such a difference as to make me ineffective with safe-action pistols, just enough to be noticeable at the range. In drawing and firing I can get my first DA shot dead on 80% of the time. But every once in a while I throw it a few inches off. This doesn't happen to the extent with the safe-action pistols.

On the safe-action striker-fired side I have found most of these pistols to have a slightly lower bore axis than their hammer fired cousins (though the FNX does a good job here). I find I can get my hand up higher on the weapon and it handles a bit better with a bit less muzzle flip. There also is no possibility of a hammer snagging or, even more unlikely but hey if I am going to mention everything, debris getting caught in the hammer and preventing function. It's more internalized than a DA/SA pistol (P99 excepted of course). Lastly, but most importantly, I'm just plain faster with a safe-action pistol. I can get that first shot on target faster with the shorter trigger pull. I don't expect to get into any quickdraw contests on the streets, but faster is a plus. The shorter trigger pull does make a noticeable difference and I find I mess it up less frequently.

So anyway, I sit with both in front of me dry-firing like a mad man and scratching my head. I doubt I'll ever figure it out completely. Anyone else feel my pain?

-TR
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 28, 2013 at 09:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.03744 seconds with 8 queries