View Single Post
Old March 4, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
grumpa72

Help with musket ID

A friend asked me to help identify their family's "civil war musket" because of my extensive knowledge () of old rifles and pistols. I had previously helped get information on another friends Nambu pistol - that was easy.

This musket is a .69 caliber with a barrel o.d od .82". Measurements were taken with a caliper. Total length is 58", the ram rod is 41 5/8 but has threads at the end. The barrel length is 41 3/4" from the end of the barrel to the front of the percussion nipple.

This had me baffled for many reasons plus I know zero about muskets. My concerns are whether it is even real because there isn't a single identifying mark on the metal anywhere - nothing! There are two small cartouches on the left side of the stock, but not one thing on the metal. The entire gun appears to be covered in old varnish or shellac. I will attach some photos taken in my garage. Better photos will come later when the sun comes out and my digital camera gets taken outside.

Photo three shows the cartouches while the other two show the left and right side of the mechanism. More photos below.

Thank you for your help.

grumpa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musket1.jpg (5.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg musket3.jpg (5.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg musket4.jpg (5.8 KB, 62 views)

Page generated in 0.02428 seconds with 9 queries