View Single Post
Old January 27, 2016, 01:01 PM   #72
K_Mac

Murbob I don't give a rip about having the last word What I do passionately care about is being able to live my life enjoying the freedom that is afforded to me by our Constitution and our system of government. I understand there is sometime tension between individual freedom and the greater good.

Our founding fathers understood this too. What they came up with is as valid today as it was then. To quote that old book that is sometimes waved around and used as a compass, "There is nothing new under the sun." One can reject the reference, but human nature, technological advances notwithstanding, has not changed. The founding fathers developed a system of government that gave the people the final authority, recognizing that government by its nature will always overreach in its efforts to protect and control.

I think that discussion of how to reduce violence within our society and the governments role in this is important. For me enforcement of existing laws and a meaningful commitment to helping people help themselves is the answer, recognizing that the cost of ignoring poverty, mental health, and many other social issues is too high. It is far easier place Band-Aids, demand more laws and blame guns.

Last edited by K_Mac; January 27, 2016 at 01:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.03831 seconds with 8 queries