View Single Post
Old March 12, 2014, 07:56 PM   #114
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_gunner
It is common knowledge I'd say by now that theory exist. But not that it's true. When it comes to theories, I'm a more see it to believe it type. I'm sure I can search the Internet to find an expert that'll say anything I want. So what is fact? What isn't? No way of really knowing for sure without first hand experience.
Keep in mind that the scientific definition of a theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation." And this is a theory that has been very well-substantiated throughout countless tests, whether the tests are performed by the average Joe in his backyard, or by the FBI and law enforcement agencies around the country. That's one of the reasons law enforcement agencies have been replacing their shotguns and sub-machine guns with AR-15s and M4s: They're worried about over-penetration.

You can hold off against all the evidence until you actually try it yourself, and that's fine. But keep in mind that there are a lot of things that most people accept as true even though they haven't seen or tested it themselves: I've never seen an atom, but I'm pretty sure they exist; I've never seen anyone who was infected by the Ebola virus, but I'm pretty sure it's deadly; I've never fired or seen anyone fire a 500 S&W Magnum, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot of recoil.

The key is not to disbelieve everything until you try it yourself; the key is to be critical of evidence provided by others until you're satisfied that the evidence they've presented is valid. And that's why I provided links to those two tests, one of which was done by an average guy and the other was done by the staff at Gunsite. And if you search around you'll see a lot of other good information that confirms the results of those tests. Here's an article by a retired 20-year FBI agent who specialized in SWAT and special operations and did extensive weapons testing. He references the tests done by the FBI that also confirmed the theory that .223 defensive rounds penetrate less than most other firearms.

Page generated in 0.02457 seconds with 8 queries