View Single Post
Old June 21, 2013, 03:19 AM   #14
allaroundhunter

Re: extreme long range hunting shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
True enough ....but you DO have to be able to read the wind, and make the necessary adjustments. And figure up/downhill ..... and know the exact range, and trajectory of your bullet ....... AND hope the animal does not move ...... and that last is just a crapshoot.
The flight time of the bullet at 600 yards varies, but let's just say an average for your more common calibers will be in the .7 seconds range.... That does not give an animal that was previously still much time at all to move. It sure as heck doesn't give an animal enough time to move enough for a good shot to miss vitals.

I regularly shoot at 600 yards with my competition rifle (3 gun), and hitting a 14" plate with a 4 power scope is not difficult. If I step up to my .308, then hitting a 10"plate doesn't take much thought at all.

It takes a little practice to make a 600 yard shot, but once you do it a couple times, it really is not as daunting of a task as it seems.

Now, would I take a shot that range at a big game animal? Not likely, and for 2 reasons. Reason 1: I do not need to show off to television viewers by making a long range shot on a "trophy animal" to get a feeling of accomplishment. Reason 2: It is easy to get them to come in closer, and I only want to walk as far as is necessary to retrieve my animal.

Only situation that I could think of when I would take a 600+ yard shot on an animal would be if I desperately needed the animal for food and did not expect a closer shot to present itself.

Page generated in 0.03464 seconds with 8 queries