View Single Post
Old May 26, 2009, 02:02 PM   #86
Hugh Damright

Quote:
As a matter of principle, why do you like state governments more than national governments, anyone?
In a sense, I tend to think of national government and state government as the same frame of government. For me, it's more of a question of why I like federal goverment more than national government. There are many reasons ... for one thing, the US Constitution frames a federal government, so I think it is subversive/despotic to try to have it some other way. People whom I respect, such as James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and Robert E. Lee, said that to consolidate the States into one sovereignty i.e. to subert our federal system into a national system can only result in despotism. I do not pretend to fully understand why this is true, but I think the idea is that with State sovereignty there will be people who don't like what the majority in their State does but police powers can keep things in check, whereas with national sovereignty there will be whole States and regions which are disenfranchised and it will take military powers to keep things in check. It just seems that regionalism provides for a much higher degree of free/consentual government i.e. liberty.

Page generated in 0.02408 seconds with 8 queries