View Single Post
Old March 16, 2014, 06:52 PM   #24
RC20

Well I know I am not in the august company of the above.

I tend to simplify things as my head hurts if I don't (and reading the above I have a horrible headache).

I have the Horandy tool. I get as good a measurement as I can.

I then load a bullet into a cartridge that has power and primers (no sense in wasting the effort)

I am more or less and shooting for something with about .005 to .0010 clearance.

If I chamber the shell and it is "sticky" on close, I know I am too long.

I shorten it up a bit and try again.

I note the measurement of when it just quits being sticking (lands) and take -.10 from that.

I then run a group of bullets through, as being a rank amateur I cant seem to get the danged things to be exact same length each time (yes I know I am doing something worn but what the heck they have not charge me in the Haugue with high crimes against humanity yet)

If none of those 20 cause me any issue when I cycle them, I load a bunch up and I take them to the range and start shooting away.

Occasionally I find one that is sticky in chambering . I set it aside and when I am back at my crude but more or less working re-loading setup, I measure it with my not so crude micrometers (yep, I do have some good steel digital and dial ones. I then look at it, my data, the variations and if its an outlier I push it down a tad and use it.

If my variation is too wide and some show up in that range, I move it a tad deeper to avoid it and go on with life.

I feel so much better when I am not confused.

Last edited by RC20; March 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.01990 seconds with 8 queries