View Single Post
Old November 25, 2008, 10:46 PM   #15
NCarolina910

Hate to drag up a thread that's a few days old, but I have been shopping around (online) between the Remington 770 and the Savage 111FXP3. Been doing my homework and reading reviews here and elsewhere on both guns. Of course I've heard quite mixed (mostly negative) reviews on the 770. As for the Savage, people here and elsewhere rave about them! Interesting.

I went to a Dicks Sporting Goods today to check them both out. Sadly they were so packed I couldn't get helped and went to Wal-Mart. I know, I know... not the best place to shop for guns, but at least I was able to walk right up to the counter and handle the guns with no wait.

The action on the Savage felt smooth as butter. I loved it! It was what a bolt action should feel like. For a gun under $400 it reminded me of friend's more expensive hunting rigs. The bolt felt strong and sturdy, and the safty was in a good location. I even liked the Simmens scope despite what I had read about it online. I was almost sold, but I figured I had to give the Remington it's fair shake. Boy oh boy what a trip! That "thing" was horrid!! And that's being polite. Right away the bolt felt like pot metal. Heck it could have been. haha When you go to throw the bolt it didn't want to move. You had to be ever so delicate with it. Slow and dainty. Hogwash! Wasn't a fan of the scope either, but I'm gonna just stop here with the bashing.

To the OP, I still encourage you to go check out the Remington 770. Handle one. Work the action. Check out the scope. Get a feel for it. I don't know how, but you may like it. Be sure to look into a Savage 111 though. While reading through this board I was still unsure myself, but hands on experience trumps anything anyone you don't know on the other side of the country says. As for me, I'll be going with the Savage 111 FXP3. Just gotta wait till after the new year because of a move in January.

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." - General Robert E. Lee

Page generated in 0.02758 seconds with 8 queries