View Single Post
Old January 18, 2014, 11:39 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

By the time I left Mexico I viewed Mexican law as a lever the corrupt police officers could use to extort money from myself and others. To be clear, it is impossible to get a position as a local police officer without being corrupt. The process of getting the job is extremely corrupt.
They have a huge problem with officers selling information about upcoming raids on cartel locations. Officers knowingly selling information to the cartels so their fellow officers walk into an ambush. The price? 1000 pesos or about $80 is the standard.

My wife has a hard time accepting that most police here will not take bribes for traffic violations. That most police officers would need a bribe of multiple times the ticket cost to be tempted. In Mexico $4 will get you out of almost any traffic violation.

The law on firearms in Mexico contradicts itself in several places. It seems this is a convenient way to allow authorities as much leeway as they like. In practice it seems 22lr and single/double shotguns are fairly easy to get legal access to if you are not in the lower class(remember, tiny upper, small middle, and huge lower class). 22lr and birdshot aren't difficult to get either.
As I understand it everything from before the mid 60s is grandfathered, but can't be transferred outside of families or repaired and ammunition is not available.
To legally buy other firearms you must have a letter issued by the military commander of your state. The letter is issued to "families." At that time there were supposed to be less than 15 approved "families" in Veracruz state with a population of eight million. This license was really intended to cover people traveling with an entourage openly carrying firearms. Think multiple vehicles and AK 47s.
In my experience the actual gun ownership rate was higher than in the US. Although people owning many firearms wasn't nearly as common and most had a single pistol('purchased from retired cop'). Few had any idea whatsoever how to operate a gun.

No gun has ever made me feel as safe as when I was in a BMW 7 Series High Security Vehicle though. I must have spent 15 minutes opening and closing the doors the first time I rode in it. I was so impressed by how easily they pivoted on the hinges even though the doors weighed a ton. Much better finish than the converted Suburbans that are the norm. Everyone must have thought I was an idiot as they watched.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.03553 seconds with 8 queries