View Single Post
Old April 29, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Black powder carry laws

I'm wondering what the laws are regarding carry of a black powder firearm (specifically in my state Florida).

The deal is I'm turning 18 soon. I will be able to have a handgun and have it in my car if I choose. However, until I'm 21 I won't be able to apply for a concealed weapons license. This limits me to a 4" folding knife and a little plastic jewelry keychain in the meantime. I'm of the opinion that the day you don't carry a gun is the day you might need it, and that an option I wouldn't normally consider for carry (black powder) is much better than a pointy stick. So, I think my question is kind of a natural progression.

I have been told that a gun that only shoots black powder may not be defined as a firearm, so if this holds true, might it be legal to open carry a black powder weapon? This is what the law states "Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device."

I think the question really hinges on the definition of "firearm" in this case. I know that open carry of, say, a knife or a hatchet is legal in Florida (although concealing them wouldn't be)

I'm not even sure if this is a move I would want to make. I know it would be a lot of hassle and could cause some trouble and negative perception. On the other end, I haven't decided if that is worth the ability to have a weapon at my side. This is a personal decision that I don't wish to run the whole conversation (though I do appreciate tips in the decision making). I'm just curious about my options as I step into the adult world and I'm left without the ability to carry for 3 years.

Hopefully the Florida Carry foundation wins the case proving open carry a state constitutional right and renders this question null.

Thanks in advance for answers and perhaps sources so I can be fully informed

Page generated in 0.02290 seconds with 8 queries