View Single Post
Old January 2, 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Gatofeo

Back in the early 1970s I made a silver bullet for my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long Colt. Used the Lyman 454424 mould.
A friend and I tackled the project. Took us all day to make one bullet. Had to heat the mould to dull cherry red.
I melted old silver dimes and quarters, with the dates worn off, purchased from a coin shop. Lubricated the silver bullet with a mix of paraffin and automatic transmission fluid. No bullet sizing. Didn't have calipers to measure the bullet diameter, so I'm uncertain.
Loaded the silver bullet into a modern .45 Long Colt case over DuPont FFFG black powder. I used black powder because it was the lowest-pressure propellant I could use. I had concerns about the hard silver raising pressure in the bore.
Fired it at a target. Missed the target but we saw the bullet strike the sand bank beside it. Dug out the bullet and it was almost intact. Showed very little evidence of rifling marks.
Case extracted normally.
Conclusion: More trouble than it's worth, to cast silver bullets. Silver bullets are woefully inaccurate, and so hard that rifling doesn't bite well into them.
I'd never do it again. I was lucky I didn't warp that mould, getting it so hot. I still have the mould and it works fine.
Still have the Ruger Blackhawk .45 too. Fine gun.
The silver bullet? Haven't seen it in years. Had it in a desk drawer but somehow it disappeared.
Silver is mysterious stuff, according to lore, perhaps Van Helsing stole it for a reload.

Page generated in 0.03681 seconds with 8 queries