View Single Post
Old February 6, 2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Bart B.

I think I should put a few words of caution in this thread about reduced loads. The .30-06 and other cartridges based on it are norious for shoulder set back when the firing pin smacks their primers and drives them hard into the chamber shoulder hard enough to set the shoulder back and increasing head clearance. Then the round fires and the primer backs out stopping against the bolt face. If there's not enough peak pressure to expand the case fully to the chamber wall and bolt face the primer will still be protruding from the case head and fired case headsapce is shorten that had a full pressure load been fired.

Subsequent firing of that case with reduced loads may further set the shoulder back enough that the case thins too much right in front of the extractor groove. Head separation is beginning. Such cases should never be used again in full power loads unless the case shoulder can be moved forward enough by body sizing to get it back to SAAMI minimum head to shoulder specs.

This situation typically starts with about 10% less powder used that normal max safe amounts. I've done tests with both the .308 Win. and .30-06 and both had the primers well out from the case head after a 10% less powder charge.

So, I suggest starting no more than 6% to 7% less than a listed max charge weight. Check loading data for the .30-06 and see how much lower their recommended starting charge weights are compared to the max listed.

If one wants to use reduced loads with the .30-06 and normal powder types, don't use those cases for anything else.

Page generated in 0.02409 seconds with 8 queries