View Single Post
Old March 9, 2013, 07:21 AM   #13
FlyFish

Quote:
So the only way I can get a firearm not on the allowed MA list is if it was made before the ban correct ?
Not exactly. First, the list (technically the EOPS Roster) applies only to handguns and only to dealers, so if you can find the gun you want in a within-state private sale you can legally buy it (other conditions being satisfied, of course) - the sale has to be reported to the state using the FA-10 form, which I believe is now done on-line (usually the seller will take care of that). Dealers can sell guns not on the list if it can be established that the gun was legally in-state prior to October of 1998. The 1994 "Assault Weapons" ban, which is still in effect in Massachusetts, is a different issue.

In addition to the EOPS Roster, which is available on-line, Massachusetts also has the Attorney General's "double secret probation list" which includes guns that are banned because they don't satisfy certain "consumer protection" requirements such as weight of trigger pull and the like. Unfortunately, that list isn't published so dealers are left to twist in the wind wondering if they're running afoul of some sort of Star Chamber run by an out-of-control AG. In fairness to the current AG, Martha Coakley, she's not the one that started this absurd abuse of power - that was Tom Reilly the prior AG - but Martha hasn't changed things either.

Yes, Massachusetts is a looney bin and no place for a gun owner. I know, I lived there for about 50 years. Take MLeake's advice and move to NH. I did.

Quote:
Since the focus on that board is New England, you just might find a knowledgeable Massachusetts resident or two. You might also get directed towards a Massachusetts RKBA (Right to Keep and Bear Arms) advocacy organization which could be helpful.
Northeast Shooters is a good forum with many knowledgeable members. The state pro-gun organization is the Gun Owner's Action League (GOAL). They have their faults but they're worthy of your membership, so join them. Another good pro-gun group is Comm 2A, which is more of an aggressive gun advocacy organization as opposed to GOAL, which tends to focus a bit more on hunters and other outdoorsy types.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 9, 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: removed remarks about other forum.

Page generated in 0.03449 seconds with 8 queries