Thread: Ammo costs
View Single Post
Old November 22, 2013, 05:13 AM   #42
Mike / Tx

Well handloading is one way to drop the cost per round a ton, but only if your shopping smart. Pick out a couple of newer manuals first, then decide what powders you can get by with. One for target loads, one for mid range and one for top end. Choose your bullet and/or weights accordingly as well.

If your already shooting some favorite commercial loads try to find loads in the manuals which somewhat duplicate the bullets used, and the velocity listed. Then when you start looking for components look for those powders which are listed that are close to factory or very similar, and the same with the bullets you purchase being close to the commercial bullets. Pick up a hundred bullets and a pound of powder to make sure it works out for you.

Then when you find things that work well, start looking to purchase these components in bulk. Pick up primers 5K at a time if possible, powder in 8# canisters, new brass in 1K lots. If your shooting say a 9mm, 40, or 45 ACP, pick up once fired cases for your range loads where you might not get your cases back. Usually you can find these for really cheap listed in the classified of some forums like this one.

With a brick of primers, 8# of something like Unique, Universal, or Bullseye, and brass in you favorite flavor you can load a LOT of practice loads for not a lot of cash. If your shooting cast bullets even cheaper, especially if you pour your own.

I have loaded most of my own ammo for most of my life. I got caught with my pants down back when Clinton threw out the first ban and caused his minor little panic. Since then, I made adjustments, and I haven't been overly worried or wanted for ammo or components since. I might not always be shooting the fastest, or the absolute most accurate loads in everything I have every time I decide to go shoot, but I don't have to worry about not having ammo either.

Last edited by Mike / Tx; November 22, 2013 at 05:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.02328 seconds with 8 queries