View Single Post
Old August 5, 2009, 09:23 AM   #3
lwestatbus

1911 Carry

I regularly carry a Kimber ProCarry 4" barrel 1911-style pistol. This has the full size grip but is just one inch shorter in the barrel than the full size and is a lighter alloy (and I have occassionally carried a full size steel frame 1911). I carry this in a MacDaniel style inside the waist holster with a thumb break over a cocked hammer (actually between the cocked hammer and the rear of the receiver/firing pin). I usually carry this on my strong side slightly to the rear of the 3:00 o'clock position with a slight forward cant. This works well while driving as well as seated or standing.

The 1911 is actually a fairly thin pistol. The Kimber Carry lines (three different combinations of grip and barrel length) are lighter than full steel models. I've had this pistol on for hours on end with only minor discomfort. I use a holster from Andrews Custom Leather which is just perfect. I choose the thumb break option as I am just inherently distrustful of a cocked and locked carry day in and day out.

If it isn't feasible to wear an outer shirt or jacket (I live in Florida) I'll carry a Walther PPKS in a pocket holster, also from Andrews.

Page generated in 0.03070 seconds with 8 queries