View Single Post
Old January 31, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1
The Tourist

A cold dose of reality.

(Mods, please move this if I have placed it in the wrong section, thank you.)

During the past few days, Madison, Wisconsin has endured its first murder of the year. Tragic as it was, it has some unique aspects which touch upon our beliefs, our freedoms and our misconceptions. (PLease see our Wisconsin State Journal for better details.)

First, the death occurred during a random home invasion. After a cursorary investigation, the police stated to the press that the victim and the aggressor did not know each other.

Two, it probably happened in daylight hours. The victim tried to use the rear exit of his home to utilize an alley near an ER. His body was seen when he collapsed.

Three, unless further details unfold, the victim did not own any implements he could fetch and effectively use against his attacker. He was totally unarmed in his own dwelling.

And finally, despite all of the "knives to a gunfight" jokes we use, the aggressor killed the victim with a knife. And from the simplistic details released, the knife seems to be a pretty mundane style. Usually when that happens, the weapon turns out to be a simple steak knife. It could even be fron the victim's own kitchen.

In other words, this death is the classic example of the biggest, scariest Charlie Foxtrot we could imagine in our wildest scenario.

That being a successful, lethal attack during a daylight home invasion of an unarmed homeowner in condition white by a random attacker with a contact weapon.

If someone proffered that scenario as a fantasy here, the mods would probably shut down the thread as being foolish, and providing no salient information because it appeared so extreme.

Additionally, the weapon was very likely cheap and poorly maintained. The victim bled out before he got very far.

Last week I argued that while some people dislike "scenario threads," they often point out to me 'holes' or misconceptions in my thinking when dealing with security. This death is a cold reminder that no matter how pathetic the thought processes plummet for a felon, some can--and did--die during an attack.

Page generated in 0.03093 seconds with 8 queries