View Single Post
Old July 29, 2013, 07:13 AM   #24
Mystro

Winchesters custom shop is in the USA..

I won't respond to Savage99 comments:
Quote:
Most of us know more about guns and as much about hunting as JOC did.
i know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but damn, Savage99, what's the color of the sky on your planet???
Must have another agenda or and not a fan of JOC. But the comments were classy about one of the top rifleman of the last century.

Jack OConnor didn't deal in theory, he was a world hunter and practiced what he preached without being sponsored by a dozen companies. He was the father of "over gunned doesn't make you a better hunter". Meaning, a magnum caliber can not make up for poor shot placement. This humble guy killed about every thing with a 270 effectively. Today's advanced bullets only fortify the JOC hunting style. Considering the 270,280,30-06 are all ballistic sisters, it deflates the need for a magnum cartridge for non dangerous game. In fact the very idea that the 270 is under gunned is crazy, then and now. JOC wasn't a salesman and wast trying to pimp products like today's professional hunters that are sponsored by 10 companies. The phrase "beware the hunter with only one gun" was Jack O'Connor.

The general consensus about why Keith couldnt stop bad mouthing Jack was that Jack was a highly educated and that's what drove Elmer Keith crazy with jealousy. History has shown Jack never spoke a bad word about Elmer Keith and certainly had the platform to do so if he wanted to but didn't. That says more than anything about what kind of guy Jack was on and off the pages.
Looking at both sides of each mans hunting philosophies, it is easy to see why Jack drove Elmer crazy....Here is Elmer toting these big magnum guns around and Jack was killing the same game as Elmer just as cleanly with his simple 270....

As much as I like about Elmer's advancement with pistol calibers, mainly the 44mag, I detest the personal insults he made when he shot his mouth off. I am a student of both great hunters.

Yea, you could say I am also a Elmer Keith fan and have been handgun hunting more than a few times.....

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; July 29, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.02970 seconds with 8 queries