Thread: Lax Training
View Single Post
Old July 8, 2009, 05:41 PM   #10
sakeneko

Are you sure your friend isn't training? Perhaps he is somewhere else, and just was too embarrassed to come train with you again? An earlier poster suggested that maybe he was out of his depth or didn't know what to expect in the original training. That might be exactly the problem.

If I were facing this issue with a friend, I'd probably just tell them I wanted to be sure they were getting practice, but didn't want to nag. I'd then drop the matter and let them as adults take responsibility for their own training. If they needed my help, they could ask.

On a different, but perhaps related, line.... My husband and I are both planning to sign up for a series of self-defense classes over the next few months. My husband wanted us to go to the same class, but the classes he was looking at did not appeal in the least to me. He's a former Air Force communications tech who finds military-style training appealing. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool civilian, and have no desire to train under a retired drill sergeant using standard military training techniques no matter how good he is.

More to the point, although neither of us is terribly ego-ridden, I think we'd both do better if we could make our mistakes without the other as a witness. ;-) So we are going to sign up for different classes. People have different styles of learning, and different rates at which they learn, certain types of skills. One size fits all training does not exist -- not for learning to use a gun in a self defense situation, and not for any other skill I've ever learned either.

Page generated in 0.03746 seconds with 8 queries