Thread: Lax Training
View Single Post
Old July 8, 2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do you think that I should just back off and let him come to the conclusion that he needs help?? Should I press him??
A lot of your response should depend on his ability to discuss the situation rationally.

Personally, I wouldn't talk about what you described as "training", as "training". I call it "target practice", and he's right that it has nothing to do with SD, except familiarity with the gun. Admitting that part may help remove his defensive posture in the discussion and allow him to admit some things about his own shooting.

If he can be talked to without getting defensive then I'd try telling him the truth. Namely, we can all develop bad habits. Bad habits can be fixed. Having a bad habit doesn't make you "bad". "Experience" and "good habits" are not the same thing and we all need to work to be better. I'd talk up his experience and find a way to bring it around to make him look good. You know, something like "Because you've shot so much, I'm sure you recognized how....". You're giving him an easy "out". He can recognize a mistake or bad habit but still look like he's knowledgeable and experienced.

Page generated in 0.02203 seconds with 8 queries