View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 04:01 AM   #17
NoGun

Originally posted by Dakota.Potts,
Quote:
Furthermore, I think reform of driving laws would save MANY more people than firearms laws every year.
I agree, but cars were not designed to kill and serve a purpose beyond that.

Quote:
If we're going on a purely statistical basis, alcohol has no use other than maybe a painkiller and sterilizer. Alcohol kills many more people than firearms and has saved no one. It is not constitutionally guaranteed. Yet no one attacks alcohol use despite the number of innocents killed.
This is a good argument. I'll even throw cigarettes in there too, everyone knows (or should), that if you smoke, you WILL get lung cancer 99.99% guaranteed and 400,000 people die annually in the U.S. via smoking. Where is the outrage?! First alcohol, you can't ban it because you can't enforce the ban. We tried, but since it turns out any fool with some yeast/sugar/etc., can make it.. well.. As for cigarettes.. perhaps gun owners should take a lesson from how they are being demonized and taxed into extinction...

Quote:
Furthermore, a crazed shooter could go right now and buy 20 black powder revolvers. They are not registered as firearms. There are no alerts for bulk buys. As far as I know there are no background checks. It would weigh less than the guns and ammo carried by the latest mass murderers. It would be cheaper than the guns and ammo. And yet that would be 120 rounds of ammunition, more than was fired in Aurora and Newtown by either of those shooters.
That is possible.. but actually bringing 20 black powder revolvers to bear in a shooting situation sounds infinitely less doable than say, one rifle and four standard capacity magazines..

Quote:
Not to mention, if it did come to full out war, how many insurgents have successfully fought their government into attrition or revolution? How would the US look to other countries if it declared war on the citizens? Might another country step in? Maybe we could save a large chunk of our population by fighting to survive until another country could step in.
These other countries you mention in no way compare to the U.S. Military which has a greater budget than fifty of those countries. We can argue semantics all day, but foreign intervention or not, complete/partial rising or no, the best weapons you can buy won't keep you alive for long. Or change any government with our military backing it.

Page generated in 0.02161 seconds with 8 queries