View Single Post
Old August 16, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4
WWWJD

I learned recently (been reloading since April), that I shot my best groups back when I was using the Lee Collet die.. AND.. although it's not recommended for target shooting out of a bolt gun, putting a light crimp on my loaded rounds. That was my method early on it load development. Unfortunately, you can't get by with neck sizing alone (hard chambering and extraction). I switched over to a Forster Shoulder Bump Neck Bushing die used in conjunction with a Wilson Case Gauge. A couple of rounds of reloading later (approx. 200 rounds), neck tension variation was clearly evident in the pressure required for seating. Booh.

I've since then (with very positive results), removed the neck bushing and decapping assembly from the Forster, essentially making it a pseudo shoulder / body die, and am back to neck sizing with the Lee Collet. I reduced my mandrel size by almost 0.002", to get back to what I felt was equivalent to the original setup I used with the crimp die.

Long story short, I'm back to my original accuracy load from May, and putting 10 rounds on a quarter at 200 yards.

NRA Endowment FTW

Page generated in 0.04030 seconds with 8 queries