View Single Post
Old April 24, 2011, 06:41 PM   #55
Nnobby45

Quote:
Does anyone shoot, at least once or twice without ear protection to guage your reaction to an unmuffled gunshot in close proximity?
NO, we do not.

Unmuffled gunshots in close proximity have already been guaged in actual shootings where auditory exclusion seems to be the common result. We don't hear the gunshots. However, according to my audiologist, the likelyhood of hearing damage does not lessen even if we don't hear the gunshots.

Quote:
Yes. Fortunately, for the (probably rare) situations where there is enough time to don hearing protection in a home defense encounter, one can use good quality electronic hearing protection which not only leaves one's hearing uncompromised it can actually improve one's hearing. And it would leave one able to hear after the first shots are fired.
I have a set of Peltors in my bedroom. They're old and sound a bit tinny but their amplification is excellent. I can hear a flatuated mouse at 8 yds.

I recently rebuilt the pads from a kit you can order. My newer ones aren't as amplified, but sound better.

If the situation allows me to get to them, nobody can make a move in my house, or fiddle with a door without me hearing them. The value of the electronic muffs go beyond just protecting your ears. Especially for an 'ol geezer like me whose hearing isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 24, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.02405 seconds with 8 queries