View Single Post
Old September 3, 2009, 09:01 AM   #5
TailGator

I don't think you did that bad. I am not sure that I agree about calling 911 quite that quick. Kind of hard to describe what the emergency is: "I think the doorbell rang, and it's late."

Since you had no reason to think anyone was inside, I don't think you were wrong to look around inside the house. I don't think you need law enforcement to investigate every night noise. But you might reconsider going outside to investigate - if someone is up to something, they have the advantage of position and darkness, plus opening the door could conceivably give them access to the house and your family.

I understand your desire for safety with a young one around, but reconsider whether you need both an empty chamber and a gun safe - seems a bit redundant. And what about moving your good flashlight into the gun box and getting a cheap one for you and your son to share? (There are some LED flashlight at Lowe's and Home Depot for $10-12 that are not high enough in output to get the "tactical" label but are still bright enough to be pretty useful to you and fun for him.)

Last comment, and it is a mild criticism: If you have a plan to use your bedroom as the safe room, and you are concerned enough to get your gun out of the safe, why not follow the rest of the plan, too? You picked your safe room with some care, I am sure, so it's best not to let instant decision making, with less thought process, over-rule a plan that was made with thoughtful deliberation. Heck, most 3-year-olds can be moved to Mom and Dad's bed and back to their own in the middle of the night and not even remember it in the morning.

People are going to pick things apart on here, because that's what they do, but you are way ahead of most people by having given it advance thought and making preparations. Your commitment to the safety of your family, both in considering your emergency response and in the way you store your firearms, is commendable. Small tweaks will suffice.

Page generated in 0.02038 seconds with 8 queries