View Single Post
Old November 16, 2013, 09:41 AM   #83
TailGator

Thanks for the link, bada61265. Interesting read. For the benefit of those who may not want to read the whole thing, the part that directly related to my question of how common expansion failure occurred was:

Quote:
However, in no case should selection of a bullet be made where bullet expansion is necessary to achieve desired performance. Handgun bullets expand in the human target only 60-70% of the time at best.
The first quoted sentence was in the context that expansion without adequate penetration renders a projectile less effective. I was a bit surprised to learn that pistol rounds fail to expand 30 to 40% of the time, but I also noted that no data or citation was presented, and that no particular brands were discussed. The piece went on to cite impact with bone, glass, and fabric as factors that inhibit expansion.

The points made make sense, but I would like to see the data. There have been a lot of improvements in bullet design since 1989, the date of the report; a re-assessment of currently available rounds would be interesting.

Page generated in 0.03118 seconds with 8 queries