View Single Post
Old November 14, 2011, 04:00 PM   #17
Dave Anderson

Quote:
Looks like you're asking about target accuracy, in which case my standard answer is that "good" (but not excellent) is an honest & consistent 3" at 25 yards with a serviced-sized gun (e.g. your GP-100). That's 5 unsupported, deliberate, aimed shots. "Honest" means everything counts (no "fliers"), and "consistent" means it's what you can typically do on demand (± 10%). Good Revolver shooters ought to be able to do this in double action, too
"Good" and "excellent" are subjective terms, but I'd say that is a fairly high standard. Using standard service-style autopistols or revolvers with iron sights, I'd be surprised if one in 10,000 handgun shooters could meet that standard, shooting standing unsupported, whether with one hand or two.

In fact I'd be surprised if one in a thousand could do it from a sandbag rest. The majority of handgun shooters I see, and I see many, can't shoot a tight enough group at any range to sight their guns in properly. Lots of service autopistols, probably the majority, are incapable of shooting consistently into three inches from a machine rest.

It's interesting how quickly we jump from what most shooters can do, to what bullseye champions can do. There are probably only a few thousand serious bullseye shooters in the U.S., and only a handful of those capable of winning a national championship. They don't do it with service pistols, and for the last 30+ years they don't do it with iron sights.

Page generated in 0.03190 seconds with 8 queries