View Single Post
Old November 19, 2005, 09:16 PM   #19
fastbolt

Although I don't carry my 3.25" CS45 as often anymore ... my lightweight G26/27 and my slightly smaller CS9 are much more "pocket holster friendly" than the CS45 ... I mostly used Winchester RA45T, and occasionally some Speer 230gr GDHP. Both seemed to function well and shoot accurately in my little pistol.

Once, when I loaned my CS45 to some other staff running some limited chrono and gel testing one day, the standard pressure 230gr T-Series load produced 802fps and the 230gr +P T-Series produced 839fps out of my little gun. Who knows what it might've revealed if further testing had been done, like say 50 recorded shots from a couple of different production lots, although I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see some wider variation ... or not. Who knows?

These two shots done using 4-layer denim covered gel didn't dissuade me from considering using the T-Series ammunition in my short-barreled CS45. You can guess for yourself which is the standard pressure and which is the +P load ... which only had 37fps difference between them in these two test shots. (The standard pressure round did 13"/.76 and the +P round did 12"/.77 for those two shots.) Clickable images ...

Naturally, there's no way to know how each and every bullet is going to perform under any and all circumstances, no matter how similar, nor are there any guarantees that any loads will produce the same velocities on any given day, even fired out of the same gun.

I tend to favor the heavier 230gr JHP/BHP bullets at standard pressures, myself.

I certainly can't make this decision for someone, else, though. Everyobdies got to do their own research and studying, and make the best informed decision that can for themselves ... unless the decision is made for them by someone else, like if they're issued specific ammunition and required to use it.

Enjoyable to discuss for the sake of friendly discussion, though ...

Page generated in 0.03241 seconds with 8 queries