View Single Post
Old July 31, 2002, 02:00 PM   #10
kungfool

darren........once again, very well organized information. I (along with Don, shared the other information you posted here and i plan to do so (with your permission) with this information as well. growing up in a very bad place, a lot of this stuff I know first-hand, it embarrasses me to say that much of it I learned by being of the 'criminal" element....ie: street gangs. thugs and your basic bad boys.
I am always struggling to communicate the material within to my students and your wide range of knowledge and plain language approach makes that much easier for me to do. naturally, any of this information that I pass out or allowed to be passsed around to my students will include your name. I would be interested in any other writings you may have written through your research. You are doing us all a great service by being so open and willing to share your knowledge.

The Amateur:

The amateur is an “ego” based animal who is looking for a fight “just because.” To be preyed upon by the amateur you do not have to be doing anything wrong, you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. This beast is usually very identifiable;

- usually walks with attitude
- elbows pushed away from body
- verbally aggressive and rude to people within a few feet
- confrontations are usually triggered by eye contact

May I add to this information based on my personal experiences and observations?

I have also found that the amateur is usually no more than a bully, and as such, usues tactics that a professional would never use.
ie;
IS loud, almost always from the start....(he wants to scare you with erratic behavior)

Often times the amateur will also stand very close to his intended victim. Sometimes even chest to chest if allowed to do so. Once again he is using bravado to intimidate. Of course, this is stupid, but then many bullies don't rate very high in IQ.

Many times they will even use one or both hands to grab a victim and pull them close or hold them with one hand as they hold their other hand as a fist in the victims face. Once again, they are trying to scare their victim. Again, this is an incredibly naive and stupid position for them to place themselves in.

Most amatuers will not produce a weapon. If they do it is by and large used simply to further intimidate or to bolster their own courage. Many times when a weapon is produced it will be displayed prominently. They do this because they are not so much willing to injure with a weaopn as a professional would. I have seen bricks held high over their heads in throwing position even though they appear relunctant to actually throw the brick. I believe this is because they truly do not wish to elevate the confrontaion beyond their control, and the brick represents control.

I have also seen many times when an amateur will produce a knife and hold it very close to their victim or at the least, keep the knife between themselves and their intended victim. A professional will keep the weapon out of the reach of their victim until they actually move in to use it.....for instance a professional who employs the use of a knife will often hold the knife completely out of view until he actually brings it into play.

In short, as you say, bullies pick their victims, but may not be nearly so smart as the professional about it. Bullies count more on intimidation to give them their edge than on any smart tried and true fighting techniques, hence they may well do stupid things that actually place themselves in a more vulnerable position than they are placing their intended victims in!

As I said, I am speaking from personal experience and observation. From what you have related previously, I would deeply appreciate your feedback on what I have added as to it's accuracy and relevency to the subject at hand. No matter how critical, I thank you in advance.

Page generated in 0.02712 seconds with 8 queries