View Single Post
Old December 12, 2011, 09:51 AM   #48
cnimrod

The only thing you can truly control

is your own attitude.
As others have noted being calm and respectful is always a good idea. That said as one of our LEO 's mentioned rookies are still learning. Had a hunting buddy and friends here in NJ go through a local DWI check some years back on their way to NY for rifle season. Don't recall all the details but one stated they were going hunting and had guns in the car. They ended up being detained for several hours while everyone and every gun was checked out. One senior officer who was not on scene originally did apologize to them and explain this only happened because they were rookies.
I've since been stopped for speeding several times while going hunting (always seem to be in a rush to squeeze in more time I don't announce I have a gun in the car (It's always been upstate where guns and hunting are more mainstream) but I am dressed for hunting and I'm sure they know.
I don't carry a handgun but if I did, common sense tells me the last thing i would want to do is startle an officer with a gun or the announcement of one.
Good thread, I'll have to pass on the father who does have a carry license.

Page generated in 0.02883 seconds with 8 queries