View Single Post
Old August 3, 2008, 03:22 AM   #21
HiBC

I have built some nice rifles and never used a kit.However,you will need to asses your skills and resources.
I higly recommend you find a copy of the volume of the Foxfire Book that shows Herchel House building a flint poorboy rifle,in oldschool ways.
I also highly recommend "Recreating the American Longrifle" by Buchele.

I was fortunate enough (Blessed!) to have the late proprieter of Cache La Poudre Rifleworks,"BrokenButt" as a resource,and another fine gentleman out of Cheyenne,"The Flintlocker",to guide me a bit.
I do not know if they are still available,but Siler Locks are quite good,could be had as kits or complete.I would guess Ron Long locks are not availkable.L+R made some decent locks and triggers.

I had very good luck with a Douglas .36 barrel,accurate! There was Getz who made elegant swamped bbls,Sharon,Green Mtn.
If you use a hickory ramrod,a 36 is a little better.A 5/16 ramrod works pretty well.
I must suggest curly maple for stock wood.If you do,write me back,I will tell you how to bring out the fiddleback and make it glow!!

Ned Roberts,"The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" Hawken Rifles" by John Baird,and Te Lyman Blackpowder Handbook" will help you,too.
The Book of Buckskinning,too.
Keep yer powder dry!

Page generated in 0.03384 seconds with 8 queries