Thread: Safari hunts...
View Single Post
Old October 6, 2006, 06:36 PM   #14
Rangefinder

This is one of those subjects that could just keep going round and round because what it all boils down to is one's own personal set of hunting principles--to which there really is no difinitive right or wrong answer (excluding the video on the original subjest matter--I think we can all agree THAT is just plain wrong). I have my own set of beliefs, morals, and practices--as do everyone here. Me, personally, I don't usually hunt another predator. That pretty much rules out bear and cats for N. America. Why? I don't have a personal need to. As for a desire to, I kind of consider it a "professional courtesy" so to speak. Coyotes occasionally, if an area is getting a particularly high population of them, but I can't see extermination just because they're there. When it comes to the hunt, I enjoy the aspect of the hunt. I like trying to out-think a bull elk on his own ground. I like trying to predict where a buck is going to be breaking the tree line and be there when he does. AND I really enjoy the many nights of good eating that follow. These are just a few of the things that I follow when it comes to what I call hunting. I think they're well within the spirit of it. But even so, someone could just as easily jump up and point out that I DO use a high powered rifle, and am comfortable taking a 400 yard shot that I've proven is well within my limits of hunting many times. So maybe that's not very sporting in its own right. So what--chip out a flint spear point, tie it to a broom handle and head for the mountain? Don't think so. Again, it just comes down to minor differences in preference about the over-all idea. There's always room for argument, but rarely a clear right or wrong within the wide variety of opinion.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Page generated in 0.03976 seconds with 8 queries