View Single Post
Old November 29, 2002, 11:23 PM   #17
Archie

Gee whiz, Alan W......

Mike and I haven't solved your problem yet! You can't be done!

Seriously, good that you've achieved what you wanted. I would also suggest that when your jacketed bullets run out, you replace them with either 148 grain lead WC or 158 lead bullets. The Bullseye then makes for a pleasant load for just plinking.

Back to you, Mike.
Based on several loading books and the writings of Elmer Keith, my experimentation shows 2400 as delivering more velocity than any faster powder in the 38 Special. Even in the shorter barrels. Yes, it does make more flash in shorter barrels, that's the trade off.
I have to agree, Bullseye is not the best powder for jacketed bullets. The pressure curve is too abrupt to get high velocity with jacketed slugs.
Unique is possibly the one universal powder. It's burning rate makes it useful in all manner of handguns, shotguns and rifles. Admittedly, it's too fast for rifles for full power loads, but will make them go in a pinch.

Still, of the three powders listed, 2400 will consistently give more velocity, all other factors being equal (in 38 Special). It isn't the most pleasant to shoot either, but full charge loads are not always pleasant.

However, we are far from Alan W's question, and he's settled the matter for himself anyway.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Page generated in 0.04501 seconds with 8 queries