View Single Post
Old August 21, 2011, 03:46 AM   #24
Mike / Tx

TX,

Man you had better get your ingots in line when you fire up on that 6 banger, they will empty the pot quick.

I have the Lee TL230gr 6 banger and a couple of others as well. The one I have been working with the most is the C452-300-RF for my 454. while it isn't really a TL design by any stretch, I have used the LLA on them with good results up to 1500fps. Trust me when I say, pouring six of these at a time, will keep you adding ingots about every 5 or so minutes to keep the pot level. I set three corn cobs up on the side when I start, and ease them in as needed.

As for the 230gr, I have only loaded up one box of 50 for my Govt 1911, and there was a bit of a curve there for me as I am used to shooting only JHP's through it. It took a bit of trial and error to get the seater set so the fit and function test would pass. Having already had one of the LFC dies in 45 I decided to run a few through it just to see what if any issues it would straighten out with a few of the ones that didn't quite fit the chamber. What I found was that on the half dozen or so that didn't simply drop right in, it only touched the very lip of the case which indicated to me it was some of the first ones I loaded when I was setting up the OAL and clearing what little bell I had put on the mouth. I loaded them with 6grs of Unique and they averaged around 850fps from my pistol. Groups weren't terrible, but I have done better. Of course it was close to 111 when I was shooting, so the sweat in my eyes probably had as much to do with it as anything.

I have read time and time again where folks suggest NOT using the FCD for this, as it some cases it sized the bullets down as they were run through the carbide ring. This I could easily see being done, but in this case the lip was the only thing being touched, and I wasn't using it to crimp, but only to check the size of the loaded round per say.

Another thing I have done with regard to the LLA completely coating the tips and all of the bullets is to dip lube instead of tumbling. Now when I say this I am using a 300gr bullet with plenty to hold on to, but even with the shorter nosed ones it wasn't too bad. I simply used a water bottle cap so that I didn't have a lot of LLA to deal with, and a pair of needle nosed pliers with duct tape on the insides of the jaws, to grab and dip with. It goes pretty fast, and everything just moves along on the wax paper as you progress through the bullets. It helps if you stand them up somewhat in rows ahead of time, then simply move down a row, picking one up, dipping, and setting it in a line above where your picking them up from. I cannot say how quick doing 4-500 might be, but knocking out 50 or so was pretty fast.

Oh yea, so when is that 100+ heat going to end??? I have been hearing that for over a month now.

Page generated in 0.02446 seconds with 8 queries