Thread: CAS/SASS
View Single Post
Old January 24, 2011, 10:04 AM   #40
Magnum Wheel Man

awesome pics & suggestions guys...

got a couple more questions...

my local mentor ( not a cowboy ), but retired gun smith, tool & die guy, & life long bullet caster & reloader... suggested I get a 45 Colt rifle, because my revolvers are 45 Colt... ( that way I'd only have to carry one cartridge, rather than 2 different ones )( personally I do shoot some 357, & that was my 1st gun, so over the years, I've accumulated probably 1500 - 357 & 38 special cases ) but now there are so many other intersting cartridges to shoot, so I rarely shoot my 357's anymore, so I was thinking about a 357 mag lever gun, to make use of some of those cases... ( if I was going to start shooting "cowboy" I'd have to pick up at least another 500 - 45 Colt cases ) thoughts ???

also I don't currently load shotgun shells, & don't have room to start, since my loading bench has also crossed over to my leather working bench as well... that's why I was thinking about doing brass shells... until I get to that point, are there cowboy loads commercially available for the 12 ga ??? mine is an old fluid steel barrel double with rebounding firing pins, & rabbit hammers, that has been shortened to "coach length", so even though it has the fluid steel barrels, I'm going to want reasonably light loads in that gun...

... even before I was seriously looking at doing cowboy, I had been looking at making a leather 4 or 6 shell holder that would mount to the forearm of the shotgun... would it be legal for the shells to be mounted on the shotgun ??? even though in thinking about it, the belt mounted shell holder would likely be faster... but curious if I can build the shell holder for the "coach" & use it in cowboy ???

... side matches... I have a collection of original spur trigger revolvers, & am customizing a Ruger Montado into a pocket / belly gun... I have several S&W 32 S&W spur triggers ( one I actually use for CCW ) & several 38 S&W spur triggers ( again one I also use for CCW ) what kinds of fun can a guy have with these antique S&W's & my new Ruger belly gun ???

BTW... RED... I didn't know modern "mules" would be allowed... here's mine... ( folding chairs mount to the aluminum diamond plate roof for spectating )

I figured I'd have to use my "lil wooden wagon" I built for my wife's cousins muzzle loader shoot to haul guns & coolers, etc... it's all wood ( including the wheels ) it's held together with square head nails, & blind screwed for reinforcement... pulls with a rope, & was built from wood stored in a shed for a long time that was all chewed up by the rodents, so it looks like it was straight out of the 1800's

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.03138 seconds with 8 queries