View Single Post
Old August 6, 2001, 08:36 PM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Bone saw is designed to cut bone & wood (more aggresive blade) while a hack saw is design to cut through metal (a less aggresive, but more "intense" & focused blade/type of teeth) - different tools for different material.

Bone/bow saw will do the trick "better" for less expended energy - on bone.

Used to carry a fold-out bone saw, big ol' knife, etc. (even a hatchet ) - no longer. Nowadays, I carry a single Swiss Army knife (Victorinox) Hunter/Huntsman model which has a lock-blade & fold out saw blade + a couple other (minimal) gizmos. Light-weight but plenty sturdy do to several elk to date. I do carry a ~$20 Coleman brand skinning knife for heavy chores (if ever needed - not yet to date), but which does have the nicely curved blade to assist in the skinning (that part has been used).

I've quartered/done the deed to several elk with "just" the SAK too many times to mention. No sense carrying a butt-load of (heavy) gear when small & efficient does the the trick. Horsing your way through an elk is more sweaty than just cutting through where it is supposed to be cut anyway ...

It'll all come apart if cut in the right place, & I daresay, one could quarter, & fully field-dress an elk, with a 2" blade.

When it's back at "the house," is a different matter altogether - I'd go for the best I could buy & to hell with the weight-savings - slap it on the table & go to town with the band saw.

Page generated in 0.03000 seconds with 8 queries