View Single Post
Old March 20, 2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Benny300

spikes tactical 22lr conversion

Ok so I bought an AR-15 and I wanted a conversion to shoot .22LR for when I am feeling cheap. I decided on the spikes tactical conversion for a few reasons. Firstly its nice an shiny stainless steal (easy to clean). Secondly it has an o-ring seal, which helps keep that messy round a little cleaner. I have shot .22 conversions in the past and that crud gets everywhere. This simple addition helps a lot.
Now for my mini review. The test gun that was used was RRA Varmint A4 20" bull with 1-8 twist. Some may say that is too fast but results are as follows 50 yards is at an .5"-.75" group. At 100yds I can hit a soda can sitting on its side (if adjusted for drop). The ammo was cheap Winchester 333 the bulk box wally world stuff. Which on my chrony varied from 1230-1130fps might help explain the group size. And for anyone who needs more data the baro was 29.41 and temp 74.1 F with slight wind but not enough to spin the kestrel.
The good the bad and the ugly. It was 200 bucks, which is about the same price as a ruger 10/22. I do think the Ruger might have some edge on accuracy but I haven't tested the two side by side using the same ammo. And with the variation in velocity it would be hard for me to make a fair comparison from memory. So this might only really worth it if you want to use your ar-15 / m-16. Reliability is about the same as a Ruger 10/22 if you take the same steps. When you get the conversion use the longer spring they send in the package (if your using 16" or longer barrel shorter might not have the force to push open the action not sure haven't tried). Your magazines add a little bit of oil on the inside where the magazine follower slides (little red thing on black dog mags). The only problems I have had 1000 rounds plus is a few duds >10 (ammo was struck by firing pin just fine) and one that didn't fire or extract. Which I later found the bullet was deformed, lead was on the brass making it very tight fitting an all around dud. So all the problems I have had were all ammo related which I have had happen in other .22LR. Maybe I should try different ammo but I keep it cheap.
Would recommend if you like your AR and want to shoot on the cheap. Wouldn't recommend if your thinking about using it instead of buying a Ruger 10/22 (and later buying 900 dollars worth of stuff to make it look like an AR) I would say the ruger has the edge (especally if you want something that can be totally customized). The only disadvantage to that is at the end of the day mine turns back to a .223
So if you have anything to add good bad or indifferent feel free (just not about my grammar or spelling)

Last edited by Benny300; March 20, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.03773 seconds with 8 queries