View Single Post
Old October 7, 2013, 08:00 AM   #23
AK103K

Quote:
1) with a gun, you have the opportunity to stop the attacker before he gets to within arms length...
Maybe, maybe not. Tueller pointed out, that even when youre armed with a gun, your opponent doesnt have to be "arms length" away to be a threat. Based on the above, you do practice drawing your gun and moving off the line of attack and shooting in under a couple of seconds, right? I would say for most, and even those who do strive to make that goal, theres a very good possibility, your gun will never clear the holster before the threat is on you.

If that occurs, whats your next plan?

Quote:
2) you can count on getting hurt if you are in a knife fight.
Same can be said for a "any" fight, even a gun fight. That gun isnt a magic shield.

I know this is a "gun" board, and the solution to all problems is likely to be "the gun" over most other tools, but believing only your tool is the best, and by just having it along you will be protected, is a really poor mindset to get into.

Ive seen a lot of people at the range "practicing", who base their skills on shooting tight little groups on bullseye targets, but have never drawn their gun from a holster and shot quickly while moving off line. How well prepared do you really think you are against a target that is proactive and aggressively moving on you, if you dont regularly prepare for that?

Like a map, compass, and GPS are a well rounded navigation set, your "martial" skills and practice need to be as well rounded (and realistic) as possible as well. The gun is only one part of that set. If its all you got, youre likely to come up short when things go bad.

Quote:
Knives are for spreading peanut butter, . . . cutting bread, . . . or carving turkeys (no pun intended), . . . guns were originally intended for defensive purposes.
As weapons, I believe if you look into it, knives predate firearms by a good bit, and have proven to be quite deadly.

Page generated in 0.03216 seconds with 8 queries